As part of our ongoing support services, Focused IT provide an SSL certificate renewal service. The following sections give a brief overview of what SSL certicicates are, and what they are used for.
What is an SSL certificate?
An SSL certificate (also known as a TLS certificate) is a type of digital certificate that provides authentication for a server and enables an encrypted connection across the public internet. SSL certificates have a limited life – currently around 12 months – so once the certificate expires it will need to be renewed. The most common use is to secure a website, so that any confidential details passing over the internet (such as passwords) will be encrypted. A website that uses an SSL certificate can be identified by a padlock icon to the left of the address bar, with the https:// suffix on the URL.
Why do I need an SSL certificate?
We may install your certificate in the following locations:
- Email server – to secure Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a connection between email servers.
- Remote desktop server – to allow a secure remote desktop connection, allowing you to work remotely.
- Firewall – to allow secure remote management and protection of your web browsing.
- Web server – to secure your internal and external websites.
What type of SSL certificates are available?
Focused IT currently sell three types of certificate. The type of certificate you need will be determined by your unique setup and the complexity of your IT systems.
- Single domain – this type of corticate secures a single domain such as secure.focusedit.co.uk. It is usually suitable for smaller businesses with a simple setup.
- Wildcard – a wildcard card can secure and unlimited number of sub-domains of a specific domain. For example, a wildcard certificate for focusedit.co.uk can also be used for webmail.focusedit.co.uk, secure.focusedit.co.uk, and blog.focusedit.co.uk.
- SAN – a SAN certificate (short for Subject Alternative Name) can secure multiple domains and sub-domains. For example secure.focusedit.co.uk, webmail.silverhosting.je, and securemywebsite.je. A SAN is useful if you have multiple domains that needing protecting.